Our History 



There are records dating back to 1946 that show that the crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields on the north east side of Trafalgar Square was used as an afternoon “club” for young hotel and restaurant workers to meet and relax and this is where the “PM” comes from in the Charities title. However, the charity was officially founded in 1949 with a trust deed agreement made between The National Association of Boys Clubs and George Comine Strachan Black O.B.E, a retired Army Major and the first Chairman of The PM Committee, on 28th September 1949. Donations to the PM Boys Club as it was known, were used to purchase the remaining leasehold of 37 Ecclestone Square when the PM Club became residential.

To promote the mental, physical and spiritual well-being of boys working in clubs, hotels and restaurants and catering establishments in the West End of London
— The Original 1949 Constitution
Former Manchester United Manager, Tommy Docherty & PM Club Boys Football Team (circa 1955)

Former Manchester United Manager, Tommy Docherty & PM Club Boys Football Team (circa 1955)

In 1949 The PM Club committee consisted of members from The Ministry of Labour (Hotel and Catering Trades), The National Association of Boys Clubs, The British Hotels and Restaurants Association, The Caterers Association of Great Britain, King Georges Jubilee Trust and no less than four clergymen. The constitution of the PM Club was amended in 1984 and then again in 1994 to better reflect the charities changing objectives and the times. 

From 1982, the Club moved to new premises in Earls Court and began to offer accommodation to young ladies (at 19 Courtfield Gardens) as well as young men (at 1 Barkston Gardens) just around the corner from each other with a total of approximately 120 bed spaces. At this time, the Club was managed for many years by a very dedicated husband and wife team Peter and Barbara Pound. Many young chefs started their careers in London whilst staying at the PM Club and have since become very successful, including Jason Atherton and Marcus Wareing


The PM Club premises in Earls Court were sold in 2002. The charities income is now derived from an investment fund set up using the original PM Boys Club endowment fund set up on 28th September 1949. 

Although the PM Club premises closed in 2002, its aims and objectives continued with the formation The PM Trust, which officially came into existence on 23rd September 2002. Douglas Oram was the Chairman with Tony Allen, Brian Turner C.B.E, the late Robyn Jones O.B.E. and Ruston Toms appointed as the founding Trustees.  

Douglas Oram retired as Chairman in January 2017 and Ruston Toms (a trustee and former member of the PM Club and Founding Director of Blue Apple Catering Ltd) was elected as Chairman by the Trustees.

The Charities objectives are broadly in-line with the original constitution from 1949, albeit without the residential and pastoral elements. This is to assist young people embarking on a career in hospitality by providing financial support in the way of grants and bursaries for their education, training and development.